Need advice? Keen to get the best deal? Call now on +44 (0)1494
Sri Lanka is the most financially inclusive country in South Asia, yet ATM and bank branch penetration remain low. Mobile financial services do however have the potential to increase accessibility to basic financial services for rural dwellers, estimated at 81.6% of the country's population in 2015, with foreign remittance services and bill settlements driving usage. However, limited smartphone and mobile data adoption remain major obstacles. While the mobile penetration rate reached 117.7% at the end of 2015, 3G/4G penetration was just 11.5%. The transition to data will underpin the widespread adoption of mobile banking only in the long term.
Latest Updates & Industry Developments
- More than 80% of mobile phone subscriptions remain prepaid, which limits the market for premium services. ARPU has not increased, although 3G and 4G services have been launched, as operators compete aggressively on price.
- Consolidation is likely in the mobile market as telecoms tax erodes operator revenues. Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT) and Dialog Axiata are looking to acquire Hutchinson Lanka and Airtel, respectively.
- There were 24.696mn mobile subscriptions at the end of June 2016. Dialog Axiata continues to dominate the mobile market with an estimated 44.8% of all subscriptions in Q217. Mobitel likewise claimed 24.3% of the market.
The Sri Lanka Telecommunications Report features BMI Research's independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Sri Lanka's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Sri Lanka Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Sri Lanka.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Sri Lanka to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Sri Lankan telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Sri Lanka's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Sri Lanka.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI’s key industry forecasts and views, covering the ARPU, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G & 4G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series (2010-2013) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry indicators, supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-line Telephony – Telephone lines (‘000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony – Mobile phone subscribers (‘000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; and where available, 3G & 4G subscribers (‘000); 3G & 4G subscribers/100 inhabitants; 3G & 4G subscribers as a percentage of overall mobile market.
- Internet Markets – Internet users (‘000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers (‘000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
BMI’s Telecommunications Risk Reward Index
BMI’s Risk Reward Indices provide investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) looking for opportunities in the region with a clear country comparative assessment of a market’s risks and potential rewards. Each of the country markets are scored using a sophisticated model that includes more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points to provide an Indices of highest to lowest appeal to investors, with each position explained.
Market Data Analysis
Detailed market analysis of the mobile, mobile content, fixed-line and internet segments, broken down into:
- Market Data – Analysis of market size, operator shares, dominant trends, competitive landscape and key quarterly data.
- Technology/Service Rollout – Analysis of rollout/adoption of new technology, such as 3G & 4G, WiMAX, IPTV, pay-TV, LTE and valueadded handset services (gaming, music, video, apps etc.).
- Mobile Content – The latest trends in content and services available and being introduced by mobile operators, including a timeline of all the latest major mobile content developments.
Company Database – A comprehensive breakdown of KPIs of the leading mobile operators, including subscriber figures by type (pre-paid and post-paid); 3G & 4G subscriber figures; net additions; market share; ARPU; churn rates; minutes of use; voice and non-voice revenue; financial figures (including operating revenues, net profits and EBITDA).
Details of the regulatory bodies and their responsibilities, as well as a special focus on the rules surrounding competition and interconnection. Also covers the latest updates in the market’s development and regulatory rulings.
Examines the competitive positioning and short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts, our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate Company SWOT analyses. The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles, enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Telecommunications Reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources, such as multilateral organisations, government departments, industry associations, chambers and company reports.