Need advice? Keen to get the best deal? Call now on +44 (0)1494
Now mainstream for MNOs
As mobile data proliferates so too does the demand for capacity and coverage.
Many options exist to cope with data surge. Small cell deployment and Wifi offloading are the main ones.
Small cells give the opportunity to come closer to the user and to offer a better coverage, indoors or outdoors at low cost.
Despite remaining technological hurdles, Wifi is a heavily deployed and cost-effective solution promoted by MNOs themselves for offloading, and by alternative players willing to eat into MNO revenues.
This report presents the state-of-the art of the small cell and Wifi opportunities to close the gap and highlights strategies at play. It also gives the flavour of future scenarios.
List of players examined
• Republic Wireless
• Scratch Wireless
• Bouygues Telecom
• US Cellular
• Verizon Wireless
• NTT DOCOMO
• SK Telecom
Pure Wifi players
• Ruckus Wireless
Street furniture suppliers
• American Tower
• Crown Castle
• Facebook Hello
• Mobile data traffic is still growing fast around the world
Options to support higher capacity in mobile networks
• Towards hyper density and emergence of smart cities
• Options to increase capacity and coverage (1/2)
• Options to increase capacity and coverage (2/2): spectrum options
• Small cells deployment (alongside with Wifi) is one of the two main options
• Wifi deployment (alongside with small cells) is the second option
• Selection of mobile playersâ€™ options
• Strategies at play in the face-off between cellular and Wifi
The small cell market is at last close to take-off
• Small cell take-off is likely backed by mobile data surge