Need advice? Keen to get the best deal? Call now on +44 (0)1494
This short analysis piece aims to aid suppliers by:
- Providing an overview of the market structure.
- Summarising the main challenges facing providers.
- Outlining key ICT trends in the sector.
- Discussing the opportunities that will emerge from government funding initiatives to support new college building projects, shared services and adoption of cloud-based technologies.
Introduction and Landscape
The UK further education (FE) landscape is changing significantly - driven by reforms to the tertiary education system, funding pressures, but also technological developments. For example, new technologies are changing the outlook of learners, which in turn is challenging established learning strategies; while the raising of the compulsory participation age, together with moves to open up the higher education sector, will create new opportunities and challenges for FE providers. How providers respond will impact future investment.
Key Features and Benefits
Kable covers the use of ICT in the public sector across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Key Market Issues
- Gain insight into UK further education ICT market and it's structure.
- Gain insight into the challenges facing providers.
- Gain insight into the ICT trends within the sector.
- Gain insight into the current spend levels, plus forecast information to 2017-18.
- The further education ICT market is currently valued at £398m, but growth is expected to be flat, with spend only reaching £405m by 2017-18, representing a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 0.3% over the forecasted period. However, this masks significant opportunities that will arise from major changes in the sector.
- In England, a total of £550m in capital funding will be available to colleges over the next two years to rejuvenate and renovate buildings. This funding - which is expected to be double-matched by colleges - will have a positive spillover effect on ICT, as many institutions will also see it as an opportunity to refresh and upgrade their technology infrastructures.