Need advice? Keen to get the best deal? Call now on +44 (0)1494
Although “traditional” handset vendors continue to grab the limelight, a growing number of “micro brands” and assemblers are disrupting the market by offering technologically-advanced devices at ever-more affordable-price points.
- The demand for smartphones – and access to the various mobile technologies they bring – is increasing. Consumers are being presented with a choice of devices, at a variety of price points and across a number of operating systems, which is greater than ever before.
While the “traditional” handset vendors continue to be the innovation leaders, up-and-coming vendors are providing similar-spec handsets but at much lower price points and are competing head-on in this “affordable handsets” segment. This trend is causing significant disruption in the market, with a few of these incoming vendors outselling the “traditional” OEMs. Furthermore, a variety of smaller companies are finding ways to maximize their operating profits by keeping down operating expenditure, which can be a significant burden to the “traditional” OEMs.
This report examines the dynamics and addressable market for affordable handsets and identifies where the opportunities lie and the types of vendors that operate in the segment. In particular, the choices selected by the affordable market players and vendors, such as third-party reference design, mobile operating system and technologies used (including display, camera and embedded memory) are explored to highlight the different strategies employed in an attempt to drive down price and stay competitive. The optimal handset specifications, in terms of perceived value and cost of implementation, are also identified.
A full market forecast is provided, showing where the growth will come over the next five years and how it will compare with the wider mobile handsets market.
How will this research help you
- Assesses which technologies and mobile OSs are most suitable in the affordable handset market
- Analysis of handset price points and market dynamics in the segment
- Examines the addressable market and how it is influencing vendor strategy
- Provides a forward-looking view of how the market will develop, identifying the main disruptors
Case studies include:
- Micro brands (Little Chilli, Xolo etc)
- Aspiring brands (Micromax, Gigabyte, TCL, Yulong)
- Established brands (ZTE)
- “Traditional” OEMs (e.g., Nokia)
- Android OS
- FireFox OS
- Tizen OS
- Windows Phone OS
Countries / regions covered:
- Global, with a focus on certain emerging markets.
New report format:
- New Report format - designed for sharing - This research is available from our online store either as a hardcopy report or electronic format, featuring a series of PPT and Excel files, each designed to provide you with business critical intelligence which is easy to share with your colleagues.