Need advice? Keen to get the best deal? Call now on +44 (0)1494
Understanding how leveraging a phone’s mobile broadband connection through tethering is impacting the carrier revenue position and the dynamics of the mobile ecosystem.
Gadgets such as tablets, e-book readers, netbooks and gaming consoles are growing in popularity, and the ability to connect these to the Internet dramatically increases their utility and value. Mobile tethering is the ability to use a mobile phone as a modem or router to enable an internet connection on another mobile gadget, and has important implications across the mobile ecosystem. ARCchart estimates that the loss of carrier broadband subscription revenues caused by user adoption of mobile tethering will reach $50 billion by 2016.
This report looks at the market drivers and barriers to users’ adoption of mobile tethering, and forecasts future growth of the market in terms of enabled handsets, usage, and service revenues derived from tethering. The report also examines how tethering is supported across the various handset platforms and how carriers are changing their stance on tethering. The role of third party application developers who are providing mobile tethering solutions is also discussed.
Topics of coverage include:
- Tethering use-cases
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- Alternative connectivity options
- Carrier attitudes to tethering
- Overview of carrier plans and policies
- Shared data plans
- Smartphone platform positioning
- Third party tethering apps
- Future trends
DIY Phone Gadgets
Silicon Valley Tech Partners
Answers and opinions are provided with respect to the following essential questions:
- What proportion of portable gadgets will have an embedded cellular modem?
- Why are some carriers choosing to relax their tethering restrictions?
- How will mobile broadband subscriptions attached to portable gadgets evolve over the coming years?
- What techniques are carriers using to detect unauthorised tethering?
- How much mobile broadband subscription revenue will carriers generate from portable gadgets?
- Which tethering technology will the largest portion of handsets support?
- Which smartphone platform will account of the largest number of tethering-enabled mobile phones?
- Why is the connect car a compelling tethering use-case?
- Which region will account for the greatest number of mobile phone tethering subscriptions?
- How much tethering subscription revenue will carriers generate from mobile phones?